Monday, August 30, 2010

Happy Family Home Evening

Yes!

We had a Happy Family Home Evening tonight!!!

YEAH!!!

Let me clarify...it was formal...ish...kind of...but not.

It really led off like some kind of circus affair. Hmmm. Not what I had in mind for FHE.  But it was happy all through FHE.

We began with me conducting FHE tonight...and well...I was conducting a formal meeting of one (me).

So, noticing that everyone else was really in a FUN mood, I tried changing my tone  from formal to ... semi formalish but trying to be fun... (okay, truth be told...I hate admitting it...but too often I act like Rabbit from Winnie the Pooh. Ish)!.

As the opening song started, "Love at Home", oh my, I wondered about FHE for this night. 
The redition was...Something Unlike I've ever heard...truly!

I believe from the sound of the family, 
we all sang the hymn...
in our own key...
with parts...
on purpose.

Really.

I exagerate not!

It was really something else to hear. I wonder if I will get to hear a replay of this one day.

I think by at his point I figured out that what I really needed to do was smile and breathe and listen and watch...because everyone was Happy! And FHE is about happy.

When the laughter died down, we did have as quiet and reverent of a prayer as we could.

The playful mood continued and so we had some kind of move and stretch and laugh some more before we moved to scripture and motto.

Our lesson started with a brief 2 minutes of Q&A of "What makes you Happy?"

Answers that were common were: no school, playing with family, laughing, being kind, love at home. 

Then, we divided into teams. Each team picked a scripture from the Topical Guide under HAPPY, and then prepared a song with actions to sing for the family.

Team dad and daughters 2&3 read from Psalms 127:3-5. They sang a medley of "Daddy's Homecoming" and "Happy Family" and ended with a Cheer. It was AWESOME!

Team 11 year, Mom and 2 year old read a scripture from John 13:15, 17. We sang "Jesus Said Love Everyone" with actions from all three of us. It was SWEET!

By this time, we were all together in a Happy Family mood.

We rallied together and played a round of 3 five minute games that included everyone:
Build up blocks and let the youngest knock 'em down... Lots of laughter
Chase after the youngest for the missing block...More laughter
and finally....
Hide and seek!

There were no tears. It was a great night of games!

When the games ended, we joined together for a final closing of FHE and reviewed that things that make us Happy.

We agreed that how we treat each other affects us being Happy.  Being kind to each other makes a happy home.

So, for our activity this week:

Each of us drew a secret "Happy Person" out of a hat. 
For the rest of this week, we are to do something for our "Happy Person" to feel happy.

I'd say, tonight's FHE's was HAPPY!

To boot, we had fudgy yummy no bake cookies for a treat.....mmmm!

1 comment:

My Heart Squared said...

A HAPPY FHE???? Wow! Those are the Mondays to remember! Aren't they worth all the other 51 during the year? (hee hee)