Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Sink into the Heart

I am currently reading in the book of Mosiah.

A quick summary of where I am...

Abinadi, a prophet sent to call the people and more particularly a wicked king to repentance, has been captured,  imprisoned, and now tied up, is presented to the king.

His BOLD declaration of God's call to repentance and promises for the people and the king  if they choose to repent or not to repent mulls around and hardens the hearts of the wicked priests.

They try to slay him.

But, because he has not finished delivering God's message to the king, no one can touch him.

So, bound before the king, prophet Abinadi declares redemption through Jesus Christ. Repentance and Salvation.

Okay, so for the purpose of this post...

I was struck by a couple of verses where Abinadi BOLDY tells them the condition of the their hearts...

Mosiah 12:27

"Ye have not applied your hearts to understanding; therefore, ye have not been wise..."

Mosiah 13:7
"Yea, and I perceive that it cuts you to your hearts because I tell you the truth concerning your iniquities..."

Mosiah 13:11
"And now I read unto you the remainder of the acommandments of God, for I perceive that they are not written in your hearts..."

I was struck by the contrast of the condition of the heart of righteous King Benjamin and his people. 

Before he turns over his reign to his son, he too preaches repentence and redemption through Christ to his people.

Preparing them for his message he declares:

Mosiah 2:9
"My brethren, all ye that have assembled yourselves together, you that can hear my words which I shall speak unto you this day; for I have not commanded you to come up hither to trifle with the words which I shall speak, but that you should hearken unto me, and open your ears that ye may hear, and your hearts that ye may understand, and your minds that the mysteries of God may be unfolded to your view. "

First they are instructed to use their senses.

And they do...

And, in contrast to the wicked king and his people, we read:

Mosiah 4:2
"And they had viewed themselves in their own carnal state, even less than the dust of the earth. And they all cried aloud with one voice, saying: O have mercy, and apply the atoning blood of Christ that we may receive forgiveness of our sins, and our hearts may be purified; for we believe in Jesus Christ, the Son of God, who created heaven and earth, and all things; who shall come down among the children of men."

Mosiah 5:2
"And they all cried with one voice, saying: Yea, we believe all the words which thou hast spoken unto us; and also, we know of their surety and truth, because of the Spirit of the Lord Omnipotent, which has wrought a mighty change in us, or in our hearts, that we have no more disposition to do evil, but to do good continually."

And this change of heart caused for outward actions...and the people covenant to follow Christ.

And again with the heart...

Mosiah 5:7
"And now, because of the covenant which ye have made ye shall be called the children of Christ, his sons, and his daughters; for behold, this day he hath spiritually begotten you; for ye say that your hearts are changed through faith on his name; therefore, ye are born of him and have become his sons and his daughters."

finally...

Mosiah 5:11,12,13
"11 ... therefore, take heed that ye do not transgress, that the name be not blotted out of your hearts.

12 I say unto you, I would that ye should remember to retain the name written always in your hearts...
13 For how knoweth a man the master whom he has not served, and who is a stranger unto him, and is far from the thoughts and intents of his heart?"
 
There is something peaceful and enriching about letting Christ sink deep into my heart...

...something beautiful about REMEMBERING to retain HIS name in my heart

...and something POWERUL and SAFE, KNOWING HE is the WAY, the TRUTH and the LIGHT.

I know that He makes the heart soft...

When I REMEMBER Him, and He is sunk into my heart, I am softer and kinder...patient and more understanding...

I am His.

So, tomorrow, I'll try again to rememember...

Knowing that when I forget...which I do too often as life busies around me...

I can trust in His perfect atonement...and repent and try again...

And when I do, I will feel His love just as King Benjamin's people did.

No comments: