Thursday, September 15, 2011

Thankful Thursday: The Power of Prayer

Tonight, while at Relief Society, a young boy, who had just come from playing baseball in the field near the ward house, and his mom came in asking if we had seen a little girl. We hadn't. We searched the building with them without finding her.

We were heart sick. Many of us there have had our own childen missing for a few minutes, or more, and experienced the feelings of overwhelming fear and anxiety over our lost child. And this little child had been missing for two hours.

I left for home and with a prayer in my heart I called my husband. He and the children offered a prayer for her.

On my way out, I stopped where the police were stationed in the park and asked for more details.

I went back to the ward to let the sisters know...as we were ALL concerned about this little girl and the situation the family must be facing.

The thought came to pray for her...as a Relief Society...tonight. Feeling a little hesitant that I might be too bold to interrupt R.S. with this request, I asked a sister what she thought about this. She said,"Oh Yes!" So, I asked a group of sisters if we could pray for the missing girl. Another sister spoke so all the other sisters could hear and asked the sister in charge if we could take a minute to pray. The request was gladly accepted and we joined together in prayer. The room hushed and as a Relief Society we combined our faith and prayed for the missing girl. Then I left for home.

I just got a call from our Relief Society President. She said, "I just wanted you to know, that within minutes after the prayer, the police came in to search the building and got a call that the girl was found."

Tonight, I am thankful for the power of prayer, for faithful Relief Society Sisters, for the Holy Ghost being persistant with me, for the sister who helped me have the courage to interrupt Relief Society, and for a kind Heavenly Father answering so many prayers for a little missing girl.

No comments: