Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Listening to the Spirit

Today, I tried very hard to listen to the Holy Ghost.

I wanted to follow.

And yet, I roller coastered through the day, some moments hearing, recognizing the Spirit's whisper and acting immediately...

Like when I woke at 6 and thought to read my scriptures early...
and so I did...even though my bed and tired body were screaming at me to go back to sleep.
And then as I read and my 2 year old clamored for attention, the Spirit whispered to listen and hold her even if I didn't study straight through...and so I did.

And a lot of moments, hearing, not really listening...
and then choosing MY OWN way....

Like when I was feeling flustered at my perceived "laundry pile" of demands...perceived or otherwise and...I felt to just keep doing what needed to be done, not to point fault or confront with irritation...and I did otherwise.

Since I was very young, parents and family and church learders taught me to listen to the Spirit.

They taught that listening - hearing requires me to:
be...
quiet
patient
still
humble
loving
calm

and have...
faith
hope
charity


It requires me to:
drop...
selfishness
pride
ego
anger
doubt

I am 41 and feel like a novice in hearing the Spirit ... in learning to tune the dial.


Perhaps, before I grow very old, I will be well seasoned in the skill of listening. 

Maybe one day...I hope...I will be as good a listener a President Thomas S. Monson.

 

2 comments:

Emma said...

It's true that we are learning constantly of how to tune in to the spirit. Thank you for the reminder list of how to do it better (I'm a big fan of lists)!
From my blog- I do miss my parents but I love NC a lot :). AZ will be a great vacation spot for us.

Plum said...

Listen to the still small voice Listen Listen. When you have to make a choice he will guide you always.

guess what my calling is? I am finding out that a lot of my testimony is what I learned in primary songs. (I know I'm a slow learner)