Wednesday, August 10, 2011

PMG and New Favorite Verses

I love, absolutely LOVE the book,  "Preach My Gospel".

In our couple study, we have been reading "Developing Christ Like Attributes". I have discovered the beauty of words and the power of learning and putting to memory the things we are learning. I feel like each time I quote the passage I am learning, I am cutting out, etching a place that this piece of virtue can settle itself in my mind; helping it to become firm...immovable...steadfast; hoping that my actions will mirror the words my mind is learning, my heart is discovering, and my spirit is feasting. Putting these things to memory is what I need to help my mind, that sometimes feels slippery and somewhat like jello, become solid, fixed, and permanent in Christ.

Tonight, I read a verse in Hebrews 11 about promises...which are fixed on being these things...firm, immovable, steadfast. Referring to saints of ancient times, Able, Abraham, Enoch, and Sara, Paul states:

13 These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth.
14 For they that say such things declare plainly that they seek a country.
15 And truly, if they had been mindful of that country from whence they came out, they might have had opportunity to have returned.
16 But now they desire a better country, that is, an heavenly: wherefore God is not ashamed to be called their God: for he hath prepared for them a city.

So, tonight, I am sharing a new favorite scripture.

1 comment:

My Heart Squared said...

I say go PMG! Thanks be to you, dear sissy, not only did I memorize (and constantly mutter under my breath) "Patience is the capacity to endure . . ." from PMG, but one of my boys chose OBEDIENCE as one of the Christ-like attributes to memorize as a family.
So guess what is taped to our kitchen wall?
And I'm happy to say that I heard them reciting it tonight at dinner.
GO PMG!! (Not PMS)