Thursday, September 9, 2010

Thankful Thursday #1

There are days that are full of wonderful ideas for posting. Family events, or non-events, quips from the kiddies, thoughts about things I am learning, conversations with people that impacted me or a loved one, my feelings about the gospel of Jesus Christ, and well, the list could go on.  There are countless things to post about.

Anyway, I was thinking about something President Thomas S. Monson said this past conference: 

"I have chosen simply to say to you at this moment just two words, known as the two most important words in the English language...those words are 'Thank you'."

So, hoping to simplify posts and do something that has consistency, and thinking of all the things I can post, I have chosen Thursdays as  Thankful Thursday posts.

Hope you enjoy the posts as much I am enjoying writing them. I'd love to hear about your Thankful Thursdays .

Here's post #1

Thank you, Dad, for Saturday night shoe polishing.

Every Saturday night, my dad would maticulously clean and polish his Sunday shoes.

I counted myself lucky when I could sit beside him and watch him. It was somekind of father daughter bonding moment for me.

On those nights, he would walk me step by step on how to give the shoes a nice polish. I watched in amazement as his shoes would go from nice to VERY NICE. And sometimes, I'd run to my room and pull out my imitation leather shoes to be polished along side his. 

The nights I felt most fortunate, however, were the ones where he'd hand me the brush or cloth after the KIWI polish was ready to be buffed, and would let me give the shoes a buffing and final shine.

Today, while my DH was away, I pulled the can of black KIWI shoe polish off the shelf and polished his scuffed toed Sunday shoes to my hearts content (btw, they look FANTASTIC)! And all the while, I thought of polishing shoes with Dad.

Thank you, Dad, for those Saturday shoe polishing nights together. Those moments filled my little girl heart with a lot of confidence and certainty that you loved me.   








3 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of my favorite memories too. Polishing dad's shoes. He taught us good, huh? :) Thanks for posting the happy memory!

Lusche said...

Yes. A happy memory.
And I still love polishing shoes.

My Heart Squared said...

And the smell . . . there is NOTHING like the fragrance of shoe polish. I had to resort to Vaseline in polishing my sweet honey's shoes a few Sunday's ago and well, sadly, I was waiting for the shoe-polish smell to fill my nostrils, but sadly no.