Wednesday, September 15, 2010

White lines on a cross walk

I was walking with one of my children today.

An apology walk (as prompted by the Spirit...because I wanted to drive her).

The kind of walk that where we talked along the way before the apology...and then talked again after the apology to say in so many words, "You're doing okay. I love you."

Well, on the way, we crossed a street with 3 painted cross walk lines.

The two main lines were painted very distinctly. But, there was a third partial line, partially painted and partially worn to the outside of the lines. Looked like an "oops" line.

And the following conversation ensued:

Daughter-  Mom, I'm different than other people. I feel like that line right there (pointing to the partially painted partially worn line).  And it feels like everyone else is the perfect line (pointing to the white disctinct line).

Me- Really? You know, you may feel like that, but really, we are all like that line you think you are most like.

Daughter- Really?

Me- Yup. It may look like everyone else is "perfect" but none of us is. We all make mistakes.

Daughter- And those nice white lines are like Heavenly Father and Jesus?

Me- Yup!

Daughter- Because they ARE perfect.

And after the apologies happened, and we walked through the crosswalk lines again, the conversation continued.

Daughter- I feel terrible.

Me- Why?

Daughter- Because I always make mistakes.

Me- Honey, we all make mistakes. That's why there is a BIG word that can help us.

Daughter- Repentance?

Me- Yup. That's the word. We're like these crosswalk lines. There are times when we we are painted bright because we repent...but then we make mistakes and the lines look faded. That's why we have Jesus Christ and repentance. Then we can be painted bright again.

Daughter- Really?

Me- Really.

And so, I'm thankful for the Spirit who knew she needed to talk about feeling inadequate, and for Jesus who can heal us and help us remember...we are inadequate...and that's why we have Him and His atonement. And that HE loves us and wants us to come to Him. And hopefully, a little bit of this conversation has been tucked in her heart. And she will Remember Him.

2 comments:

My Heart Squared said...

What a beautiful analogy you were able to discuss! And so amazed that your daughter was able to articulate how she felt - because we all do!
Thank you for such a wonderful post!

Laraine said...

I already miss seeing you and learning from you...but this post makes me REALLY miss you!!! What a wise mother you are. So in-tune with the spirit. Your girls are so lucky to have a mother like you.
Next month I am giving a lesson on the 'big word', Repentance. Would you mind if I used your story in my lesson? (By the way, I hope you don't mind that I peek in on your blog now and then!)
Love and miss you!