Saturday, September 11, 2010

Irritation Management

Ether 12:27- And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them. 


Last night, DH and I went to the temple. It is always such a good thing to go. It helps me regain perspective, direction, peace and empathy/understanding.

So, what I discovered after a night at the temple is that I need to chill.

Too often, I get mental over little things...things that don't matter. I have blamed these mental moments on being too tired (which I am sure can have an affect on perspective), I have blamed it on "if only they would listen", or "if they'd try understanding my point of view", and I have blamed it on "they just don't understand!"

Anyway, after pondering "peace and contentment" this past month and wanting to know how to hold onto it when it comes. And after a good long time of trying to figure out how to get it back once it comes and goes, and hold onto it, I think I caught a little glimpse of how to achieve it.

Ouch! Good ouch! But ouch all the same.

So here are the thing I've discovered.

If I want to be happy, it is not by controlling others or situations. I find happiness when I respect my and other's agency.

Demanding others does not bring peace! To me or them. Just irritation and contention (I know...these are no brainers...but I am just learning these in my heart and hoping to get them to stick firm into memory).

Before I get in a rut of demands, when I think I am not happy because things are not going my way, I need to step back and say nothing. But silently, pray for eyes to see and ears to hear and a mouth to be quiet. And then act (PATIENCE).

I am discovering that happiness can be mine...not based on decisions of others, but because I choose it over being irritated.

There are things in my heart that I understand but cannot put into words. The Spirit speaks to me so.

Anyway, Heavenly Father is very patient with my learning curve. He knows I can overcome these things I do that set me back. He doesn't give up on me. He continues to teach me and trust that I'll follow Him. Thankful for His perfect plan and for His Son, Jesus Christ and His perfect atonement. One day, with a lot of prayer, and work, and help from Them, I'll have this mastered.

2 comments:

My Heart Squared said...

I like that: Irritation Management. Sign me up!

Emma said...

This post was soooo meant for me! Thank you for your wonderful thoughts.